- 1 Personal life
- 2 Quotes
- 3 Quotes about him
- 4 Presidential campaign
- 5 External links
- 6 References
Jair has 4 sons and 1 daughter. In April 2017, at the Hebraica club in Rio de Janeiro, he said: "I have 5 kids. 4 were men, the 5th, I was weak, and a woman came". On another occasion, he said: "There's nothing more wonderful in the world than to have a daughter". In the same speech, he said: "My daughter will be a woman and my sons are men".
Jair is Catholic, but was baptised in the Jordan River by Pastor Everaldo Pereira on the 11th of May 2016. "I'm a Catholic who attended a Baptist church for 10 years", he said in early 2011. Michelle, his current wife and mother of his daughter, attends the Igreja Batista Atitude, a Baptist church he was invited to and spoke at on the 21st of August 2018.
- "A Verdade Sufocada"
Cold War Brazil
- We abhor torture, okay? Now, at that moment, the world, Brazil especially, was living in a quite complex climate, yeah, it was in a Cold War. Either you depended more on the United States, or more on the Soviet Union. And those people who say they were tortured, I believe something bad may have even happened to some of them, but in large part, no. It's politics, yeah, it's something they were using, to say they were tortured, so they could receive compensation, elicit pity from the people, obtain votes and power. And that story is not told very well, the question of torture, because only one side of the story is remembered, not the other. If we would have lost the war at that moment, today, with all certainty, we would have a Cuba in these 8.5 million square kilometres.
- Portuguese: "Nós abominamos a tortura, tá? Agora, naquele momento, o mundo vivia, o Brasil [em] especial, um clima bastante complexo, né, estava numa Guerra Fria. Ou você dependia mais dos Estados Unidos ou mais para a União Soviética. E esse pessoal que se disse torturado, alguns eu achou até que foram, aconteceu alguma maldade com eles, mas em grande parte não. É uma política, né, é uma forma que eles usavam para dizer que eles eram torturados exatamente para conseguir indenizações, conseguir piedade da parte da populacão, conseguir votos e poder. Isso não é, essa história não está bem contada na questão da tortura, porque só se lembra dum lado da história, o outro lado não. Se nós tivéssemos perdido a guerra naquele momento, hoje com toda certeza seríamos uma Cuba aqui nesses oito milhões e meio de kilometros quadrados."
Favorite phrase or verse
- Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
If he becomes president
- A redirectioning of Brazil doesn't relate to politics. We're tired of the left. We want a Brazil that is liberal, that does business with the whole world without ideological bias, that respects the family, like the kids in the classroom, that plays hardball in the question of public security to give everyone peace, that implements policies that take Brazil out of the situation it's in, values the man of the field, plays hardball on the MST ... that is our dream and our will initially in this battle.
- Answering question on the 30th of July 2018 of how he would like to be remembered if he were elected president.
- We can't continue to treat the indigenous like zoo animals.
Law and order
- A human being only respects what he fears.
- You need to also look at his past, it's not just the picture they try to paint of him today.
- How did Obama get to where he is? It was merit. Article 5 of the Constitution, it wasn't revoked or altered. We are all equal, period.
- Article 5 of the Brazilian Constitution states: "All are equal before the law, without distinction of any nature, guaranteed to Brazilians and to foreigners the inviolability of the right to life, liberty, equality, security and property ... "
- Look, nothing.
Quotes about him
Ana Cristina Valle, ex-wife of his
- Good evening. I'm Cristina Bolsonaro, ex-wife of our presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro. I come here very indignant and refute the filthy 'Folha de São Paulo', where it has been published that Jair threatened me with death. Never. Father of my son, my ex-husband, he is much loved by me and by everyone. And he doesn't have a temperament to be able to do such a thing. Good father, good ex-husband, he was a good husband as well. I hope that you believe that that filthy media only wants to denigrate his image, because he's in first place in the polls and will remain there, because I believe he wins in the first round and I hope that you believe that too. So here is my message: Filthy media, there is no point in doing what you're doing, nothing is going to make it so he falls. He remains standing after everything that happened and will continue and will make it to the presidency without depending on me. Thank you.
[On the 29th of August 2018, Andrew Gabbed:]
[In this first tweet, Gab writes in Portuguese: "Can we get Bolsonaro on Gab? The communists of Twitter would lose their minds. @jairbolsonaro"]
[The conversation continued:]
[Translation: "Bolsonaro did nothing incorrect":]
Gab is a thing, Bolsonaro is going to win, and you can’t do anything about either. Stay mad buzzfeed boy. https://t.co/waMcrw0zYp— Gab.com (@getongab) October 5, 2018
Soon. 🇧🇷 pic.twitter.com/uZh0righCp— Gab.com (@getongab) October 7, 2018
Cheers, you filthy communists.— Gab.com (@getongab) October 7, 2018
The fact that Jair Bolsonaro has come so far in Brazil's elections shows that the centre ground of politics is crumbling https://t.co/fKcW7NmNvm— The Economist (@TheEconomist) August 12, 2018
Jair Bolsonaro has brilliantly exploited Brazilians' fury towards the status quo https://t.co/tdti9YtzBm— The Economist (@TheEconomist) September 23, 2018
Jair Bolsonaro would be a particularly nasty addition to the club of populists that includes Donald Trump and Rodrigo Duterte https://t.co/zGCVzUk85j— The Economist (@TheEconomist) September 26, 2018
Brazil is in desperate need of reform. But Jair Bolsonaro is not the man to bring it about pic.twitter.com/Q2guR3HOwC— The Economist (@TheEconomist) October 2, 2018
"The Times of Israel"
- [O]penly pro-Israel[.]
On the 22nd of July 2018, Jair became the presidential nominee for the Partido Social Liberal (PSL) or Social Liberal Party. His presidential campaign slogan is "Brasil acima de tudo, Deus acima de todos!" or "Brazil above everything, God above everyone!". The candidate enjoys the backing of bishop Edir Macedo, bishop Robson Rodovalho and pastor José Wellington; nearly 48 percent of evangelical voters; and the evangelical congressional group (bancada evangélica) in the Chamber of Deputies, which consists of nearly 200 of the Chamber's 513 federal deputies and endorsed him. The Catholic Church's National Conference of Bishops of Brazil has decried as fake news that cardinal Sérgio da Rocha issued an anti-endorsement against a certain candidate.
28th of September 2018 Datafolha poll
A 28th of September Datafolha poll showed that Jair, the first placer, had a rejection rate of 46 percent, second placer Fernando Haddad a rejection rate of 32 percent. Pollees could give more than one name when it came to rejection rate, so the rejection rate numbers didn't add up to 100 percent.
2nd of October 2018 Datafolha poll
A 2nd of October 2018 Datafolha poll showed Jair had a rejection rate of 45 percent, Fernanado a rejection rate of 41 percent.
4th of October 2018 Datafolha poll
On the 4th of October 2018, a Datafolha poll showed that Jair had 35 percent of the vote, Fernando 22 percent. The poll shows that Jair had 35 percent of the Catholic vote, Fernando 29 percent. Fernando had 18 percent of the evangelical vote, 30 percent less than Jair. A comparison of Datafolha polls showed that Fernando's rejection rate had shot up from 32 percent on the 28th of September to 41 percent by the 2nd of October.
6th of October 2018 Datafolha poll
On the 6th of October 2018, a Datafolha poll showed Jair had 36 percent of the vote, Fernando 22 percent. Jair had 40 percent of valid votes, Fernando 25 percent. The rejection rate was 44 percent for Jair, 41 percent for Fernando. In a hypothetical second round between Jair and Fernando, Jair was shown to have 45 percent of the vote, Fernando 43 percent.
10th of October 2018 Datafolha poll
On the 10th of October 2018, a Datafolha poll showed that Jair had 58 percent of valid votes, Fernando 42 percent. 49 percent of those polled intended to vote for Jair, 36 percent for Fernando, 8 percent were going to cast a blank vote and 6 percent were undecided.
Makes video supportive of gay rights
On the 14th of October 2018, Jair published a video on his YouTube channel, which he also tweeted, of him with a gay supporter of his, Lili Ferraz, wherein Lili urged people to vote for him. Jair stated that the state shouldn't interfere in people's personal decisions.